|Daily Blog • September 2, 2013|
As far as my game grades go after the 2008 season was completed, I devised a power ratings system, which lets me analyze at what level each team played during an individual game. This “game grade” takes into account the yards rushing, yards passing, points scored, rushing yards allowed, passing yards allowed and points allowed and factors them in against the opponent played and even factors in the site the game was played at.
With all these factors taken into consideration you will see teams that lost the game having a better individual game grade than teams that beat them simply because the team they played was superior and much less was expected of them.
Here are the Top 25 Game Grades (Team Performances) from Week 1
|9||Texas||New Mexico St||359||356||56||104||242||7||0||369||98.78|
|11||South Carolina||North Carolina||228||178||27||99||194||10||1||113||97.79|
|17||Oklahoma St||†||Mississippi St||286||146||21||111||222||3||2||99||95.65|
- LSU was very impressive in their opener against a Top 25 caliber TCU team. The 37-27 score was much closer than how the game played as TCU benefited from a 100-yard kickoff return TD and also a 5-yard “drive” after a LSU fumble. Overall, LSU was +189 in yards and more performances like that will lead to the Tigers making a legitimate run at the National Championship.
- Washington opened up their new stadium in style with a dominating 38-6 win over Boise St, a team that just beat them in last year’s bowl game. The Huskies offense complied 592 yards and the defense limited the high-powered Boise offense to just 6 points.
- Teddy Bridgewater and the Louisville Cardinals lived up to their high preseason expectations with a solid 49-7 win over Ohio. Their offense piled 615 yards while outgaining the Bobcats by 342 yards.
- While it did not get much attention from the national media, Oklahoma got off to a great start specifically their defense in a 34-0 win over ULM. The Warhawks averaged 35 ppg against the 3 BCS teams they faced a year ago but could only manage 166 yards against what looks like a much improved Sooner defense.
- While they only played FCS Nicholls St, Oregon put up some phenomenal numbers as they gained 772 yards including 500 rush yards in their 66-3 win.